Plot / Synopsis:
“Dastan (Jake Gyllenhaal) is a 6th century prince of Persia who teams up with Princess Tamina (Gemma Arterton) to rescue the Sands of Time, a gift from the gods that controls time, from the hands of the villainous nobleman, Nizam (Ben Kingsley).”
– Jake Gyllenhaal as Prince Dastan, a sixth-century Persian prince. The character is nameless in the games; Jordan Mechner said he chose the name because it is the Persian word for “trickster”. Gyllenhaal estimated he gained five pounds of muscle for the role.
– Gemma Arterton as Tamina, a feisty and exotic princess. Arterton practiced horse riding in Madrid and did further training in London.
– Ben Kingsley as Nizam, King Shahrman’s brother who plans to kill the ruler and blame the murder on Prince Dastan.
– Alfred Molina as Sheik Amar, a mentor to Prince Dastan.
– Toby Kebbell as Dastan’s brother, head of the Persian army.
I was playing to Jordan Mechner’s Prince of Persia at the very beginning, when it was but a 2D platform game. But I didn’t follow with the following 3D versions. But I’m glad to see The Prince of Persia adapted into a live action movie.