Actress Helen Mirren got the lead role as the witch Prospera in The Tempest, an upcoming fantasy drama movie written and directed by Julie Taymor based on William Shakespeare’s play of the same name. Besides Helen Mirren the cast also includes Russell Brand, Alfred Molina, Djimon Hounsou, David Strathairn, Chris Cooper and Alan Cumming. The release date is set for December 10, 2010.
Take a look to the first official pictures of the Tempest movie:
“Prospera’s throne (Helen Mirren) is usurped by her brother, and she is sent off on a ship with her four-year-old daughter. They find themselves stranded on an island devoid of society. A power struggle develops between Caliban (Djimon Hounsou) and Prospera due to her efforts to become a father figure to Miranda (Felicity Jones).”
– Helen Mirren as Prospera (The gender of Prospero was changed so Mirren could take the role.)
– David Strathairn as King of Naples Alonzo
– Djimon Hounsou as Caliban
– Russell Brand as Trinculo
– Alfred Molina as Stephano
– Ben Whishaw as Ariel
– Felicity Jones as Miranda
– Chris Cooper as Antonio
– Reeve Carney as Ferdinand
– Alan Cumming as Sebastian
Djimon Hounsou and Russell Brand look like crazy on those pictures of the Tempest movie. They must have enjoyed their roles.